Buried in snow–Romania under deadly weather

10 Feb

My skyping this morning with my parents back home in Romania gave me something to worry about. Villages and fields are entirely under snow. Some parts of the country measure  4-5 meters (about 12-16 feet) of snow.

The first thing I did after hanging up with my parents was to search online news and images and I found the video below. Unfortunately it’s not translated, but the images speak for themselves.

Farmers walk on top of their houses. They have no water, no electricity, no way to reach for wood to warm up their home. Food is sparse. Their animals (aside from a few dogs freely venturing outside) are left to starve because no one can reach them.

The worse of all–they can’t bury their dead, but keep them in the house (covered in blankets) until the roads clear enough to take them to cemeteries.

7 Responses to “Buried in snow–Romania under deadly weather”

1. Pragya February 10, 2012 at 8:32 pm #

Oh my God! That’s really bad. Can’t the government help them?

• CameliaMironSkiba February 10, 2012 at 9:05 pm #

They’ve made a few attempts by sending helicopters with supplies. But they aren’t doing as much as they should.
      Mama told me people are really frustrated with the government’s inability to organize themselves.
      Same old story I’ve known all my life.
      Many other countries are affected by this snow. As far as i know there are thousands of dead people and still counting.
      Terrible thing. I feel guilty for being warm here in AZ when others back home freeze to death.
      Thanks much for caring!
      Cami

• Pragya February 11, 2012 at 9:41 pm #

Oh. I know the cold is terrible this time with so many people dying every day. Please don’t feel guilty. You cannot do anything at this time. People like us don’t have the resources to help. We can only pray and hope.

2. Cindy C Bennett February 11, 2012 at 3:43 am #

That’s unbelievably horrible, like a Hollywood movie that can’t possibly be real because it’s so extreme. Those poor, poor people! I feel so terrible for them! The worst is that when it warms up and begins to melt, they will probably then have to deal with flooding. It’s a very surreal video. I wish there were a way to help them.

• CameliaMironSkiba February 11, 2012 at 1:32 pm #

That’s what I fear, Cindy. The damage is not over. More snow is coming starting Monday. Honest, I don’t know how many roofs will sustain all that pressure from the snow. So not even inside their homes are those people safe. The floods will destroy everything that wasn’t already destroyed. Not many people know how to swim; they are simple farmers with very little education.
      I shudder thinking how helpless they must feel.
      I’m helping with money, but it’s not going to make much difference. I posted something on my FB about it.
      Thanks for the kind words.
      XOXO

3. ia. February 14, 2012 at 3:36 pm #

How many does government need to fail for people to grasp that government is the problem, never a solution. I would have thought Eastern European States would know this all too well.

• CameliaMironSkiba February 14, 2012 at 3:47 pm #

Can’t agree more. Unfortunately the government of today is nothing but ex-communists, that served under Ceausescu’s regime more or less. They only changed their political color, but remain the same old fashioned, expired mentality. All they care about is how to fatten their accounts and ensure even after their term is over that they milked the masses enough. And the masses? No one really cares.