Growing Up Without Halloween–Growing old WITH Halloween

31 Oct

I didn’t grow up with Halloween. In fact I didn’t know Halloween existed until the 90s, after the communist regime in Romania was eradicated. Talk about how controlled and “sheltered” we were from all the “bad” (or so we were told)ย  influences of the western countries.

I celebrated the first Halloween after moving to the States back in 2003. We had a party with our neighbors. I didn’t wear a costume, but took my son around the neighborhood for trick-or-treating. Didn’t get into the Halloween mood until a few years ago. I just couldn’t find the fun and joy into looking like the dead, zombies or any other ugly creatures. Jumped out of my skin at any bloody hand coming out of fake graves, or malefic laughs. Have yet to visit a haunted house.

Last year I officially bought my first Halloween costume. Fits exactly my snarky personality and my Romanian roots. A witch. We had a blast with my sister’s family and my cousin’s. While the kids went trick-or-treating, we the adults danced in front of the house and scared little ones. Yeah, I admit we were that bad. Turns out I can look hideous, scare people and feel awesome about it. I guess I can call it … evolution? adaptability?

Whatever it is from my family to yours Happy Halloween!

P.S: Favorite candy? Mine is jolly rancher :/

11 Responses to “Growing Up Without Halloween–Growing old WITH Halloween”

1. tinar19 October 31, 2012 at 4:05 pm #

Don’t forget the Gummie Bears! โค

• CameliaMironSkiba November 1, 2012 at 9:45 am #

YESSSS, the GBs! JR are the fav hard candies. GB the soft one ๐Ÿ™‚
      XOXO

2. smallftprints October 31, 2012 at 4:41 pm #

Wow … this is one of the best Halloween posts I’ve read. Thank you for sharing it … sometimes we, who grew up with such things as Halloween, take our “right” to celebrate for granted. I’m glad you dressed up last year … and had fun! My favorite candy … snickers. ๐Ÿ™‚

• CameliaMironSkiba November 1, 2012 at 9:54 am #

Thank you so much for the kind words! You really made my day. I love it when people read and like what I write… Speaking of Halloween I had an epiphany last night and took some fun pictures too. I might post some but will definitely post all of them for the Halloween post next year. Need an arsenal ๐Ÿ™‚
      Come back again!

3. cindycbennett October 31, 2012 at 8:15 pm #

You make a pretty adorable witch, Cami, not scary at all. :o)

I couldn’t possibly pick a favorite candy – I can pick my favorite Romanian-American though.

• CameliaMironSkiba November 1, 2012 at 9:44 am #

Hee hee hee, Cindy. Last night I tried to be really scary. Took some crazy pics but won’t post them. Keep them for the next year’s Halloween post ๐Ÿ˜‰
      Did you wear a costume?

4. Mendy October 31, 2012 at 8:19 pm #

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good. I don’t know who you are but definitely you’re going to a famous blogger if you aren’t already ๐Ÿ˜‰ Cheers!

5. Lizzy's Dark Fiction October 31, 2012 at 8:25 pm #

I love the Reeses. I’m going to snag all of them from my kid’s candy bucket. Fortunately he is too young to notice. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• CameliaMironSkiba November 1, 2012 at 9:43 am #

LOL, Lizzy. I will though keep this comment of yours until your kid grows old enough and show him who was actually the… fairy who stole his reeses ;)))

6. Mary DeBorde M.A.D. November 1, 2012 at 12:39 am #

I am so happy for you to be enjoying the fun of Halloween! Thank you for sharing the awesome pix, too! โค

• CameliaMironSkiba November 1, 2012 at 9:42 am #

Thanks, Mary. I took some funny ones last night too but won’t post them until … next Halloween ๐Ÿ˜‰