To arm or not to arm? This is the question

20 Jan

armed

I doubt there is one person in this country or else on this earth who heard about the events of December 14th and who hasn’t been affected more or less. And like everyone else I want to voice my opinion. You may agree or disagree with it, but remember: this is MY opinion.

Coming from Romania, a country where there were NO guns whatsoever (unless one was part of the military) I grew up not knowing much about them, therefore fearing them. We did not have partisans, drug cartels or a black market for guns. Nothing. For those committing crimes Romania’s law was very clear: death penalty. Sounds like a crime free environment? Sounds like an ideal place to live?

And yet … crimes happened. People were killed. Stabbing, beating, strangling, pouring gasoline on someone… criminals were always resourceful when it came to how to kill. I remember reading about the serial killer who liked to rape and then strangle women leaving work after the late shift. I remember reading about a son killing both his parents using an axe. I remember reading about a teenage mother who stuffed her baby girl in a grocery plastic bag suffocating her then throwing the bag in a dumpster. I remember about all those hideous crimes committed not with guns.  We were NOT a crime free country.

The same was valid for all the other countries around us, also part of the communist block with the same gun law and death penalty in place.

In looking back I wish we had guns. Guns to protect us from a government who hated its own nation, starving it, controlling it, and brainwashing it. Had we have guns we would’ve fought for our freedom and free ourselves from the communists.

People, let me tell you this: it’s not the gun that kills—it’s the SICK individual pulling the trigger. If we ban guns let’s ban knives or any sharp object, ropes, gasoline, stones/rocks, even grocery bags and any object someone could use as a crime tool. In any crime committed in the States or elsewhere your common denominator is the (in) human NOT the object with which the crime was committed.

Stop being so narrow-minded and begin talking about the elephant in the room; it breathes, eats, sleeps, dresses, and walks like any one around you. He/she only choses to be different: a criminal.

20 Responses to “To arm or not to arm? This is the question”

1. Tara January 20, 2013 at 10:51 am #

Thank you!!! I totally agree with you I hate how everyone blames the gun.

• CameliaMironSkiba January 20, 2013 at 11:47 am #

Thank you, Tara. It’s good to know people out there see in perspective. Too many around us wear horse glasses, seeing only what they want.

2. nrlymrtl January 20, 2013 at 11:02 am #

You’re right. Reinforcement of our existing laws, along with a more healthy attitude towards mental health (nationwide) along with greater availability of mental health services will go a longer way to reducing crime. However, those solutions take more time and are harder to enact than simply pointing a finger at a group of weapons and trying (unsuccessfully) to remove them from the general population.

• CameliaMironSkiba January 20, 2013 at 11:46 am #

DoD, speaking of mental health and its perception. Back in Romania anyone who would seek help from a therapist would be considered plain crazy, therefore no one ever went to one. I’m not familiar with how is now perceived because I’ve been gone from there for over 9years, but I doubt there is much difference. It has a lot to do with one’s mentality. Suffering from mental problems doesn’t necessary makes one crazy, but rather helpless. If we suffer of heart, liver, pancreas or whatever other diseases out there we take meds. Why don’t we invest more in mental treatments and treat them as important as any other diseases? Nevertheless, thanks for stopping by 🙂

• nrlymrtl January 20, 2013 at 12:00 pm #

Couldn’t have said it better. Our nation needs to change our cultural perception of mental health issues. In short, we need to treat MH issues like we do other health issues – respect, diagnosis, and treatment.

3. Tina B January 20, 2013 at 11:09 am #

I have to say that I agree with you, Camelia.
    I understand everyone’s alarm about what happened, but I don’t know that more gun control is the answer. Maybe they need to find a way to not let people into schools, though I am not sure that will completely fix it either. It is a sad thing. I may have felt differently if I was a victim of a gun crime, however, I have grown up around them, so I doubt it. As you said, it’s not the gun, but the person wielding it.
    Most of the people who commit these crimes, it seems that they are not the owners of these guns. I own guns, but do not advertise it. Also, if I had a person who was not mentally stable in my home, I would never have guns in my home. I hope they can find a solution that appeals to everyone.
    Thank you for sharing. 🙂

• CameliaMironSkiba January 20, 2013 at 11:38 am #

Tina, thank you for stopping by and voicing your opinion. I was a bit reluctant to post about this subject but then again, I lived for so many years under the communist regime and was afraid to say anything for fear I’d end up in jail. I’m learning slowly to stand up for what I believe in.
      Time will tell if whatever solution they find works for everyone. Personally I doubt it. You will always have people wanting guns and people against them.
      My husband’s grandpa was killed by a mentally unstable neighbor–one bullet in the face, two in the back. Chris was ten at the time and still remembers the blood stains everywhere. Does my husband hate guns? No. In fact he owns one.
      Guns in the hands of a wrong person are a threat. Otherwise they suppose to be means for protection.

4. Angela Love January 20, 2013 at 6:52 pm #

Camelia,
    I can’t agree with you more than if I had wrote this myself….Everyone is saying get rid of the guns but the sick people doing these horrible crimes will just find another way to hurt the innocent…. The only thing I can think of is to not let myself or my family become victims…to be honest my kids 21,15,11 have all been raised not to be a victims at the age of 5 my kids have been involved with martial arts and have learned to shoot guns and we have raised them around them therfore if my husband or I are not home and the kids are they know where they are how to load them and shoot if they fear for their lives…. NOT going to be a victim Not going to let my kids be a victim after seeing the ordeals of the school shootings my kids have strict orders to do whatever they have to wether it be hide in book closet crawl out windows whatever they need to…. I think some will say we are crazy for our thought process but I want my kids to think quick and react not panic and freeze making themselves targets!!!

• CameliaMironSkiba January 20, 2013 at 7:05 pm #

Angela, you and I and the few people taking the time to leave comments definitely are on the same page. It’s safer to always have a plan B in place. Could the tragedy in Connecticut have been avoided? Absolutely. That young man should’ve been examined and helped before he turned evil. For him and the victims is too late, but is not too late for all of us, still alive, still capable of finding a solution.

5. Mel Bourn (@MelCamino5) January 20, 2013 at 7:14 pm #

YES!!! My husband and I have been talking about this for some time now. As a teacher in a high crime area, I would love to be able to carry and protect not only myself, but the students under my care. I live in a state that has some of the strictest gun laws, yet the crime rate is worse than those that have open carry or conceal and carry. I believe there is a connection with not being able to be armed and protect ourselves. We are seriously considering moving to a state that does allow us this protection.

Thank you for speaking out about this. We need more people willing to talk about this and see the real problem, not the tools used.

Mel

• CameliaMironSkiba January 20, 2013 at 7:33 pm #

Mel, I know what means to walk around and not feel safe. I lived most of my life back home in Romania where there were no guns, and yet I feel safer here in AZ where there are guns. Does it sound twisted? Maybe. But at least there are means to protect one’s life rather than wait for someone else to do it.
      Move to AZ–you’ll have sun almost 365 days a year AND allowed to purchase guns. Two birds with one stone 😉

6. cindycbennett January 20, 2013 at 10:42 pm #

All I have to say is: Amen, sista!

• CameliaMironSkiba January 21, 2013 at 10:05 am #

Two times amen, Cindy! Or maybe we should make it three times, maybe it sticks???

7. Rawclyde! January 21, 2013 at 1:34 am #

Schools in the United States have what are called “resource officers.” They are supposed to curb violence in various ways. Some are armed. President Obama in his last speech said he wants to provide the schools more resource officers. I think that’s a good idea. But I think they should all be armed and trained to stop anybody who has a weapon and intentions of killing students and/or teachers.

In this speech Obama talked about smaller magazine clips and banning assault weapons and having more thorough background checks. Nobody is going to disarm America. Rest assured.

• CameliaMironSkiba January 21, 2013 at 10:08 am #

Rawclyde, your sentence “Nobody is going to disarm America” is the best. We should write it in capital letters.

• Rawclyde! January 21, 2013 at 11:57 am #

Your wish is my command: NOBODY IS GOING TO DISARM AMERICA…

And, please let me add, lies about the president by NRA executive vice-president La Pierre are not what will keep our nation armed. Smart laws will keep are nation armed ~ smart laws by a brave, not cowardly, congress…

Thank you, Camelia.

8. Author Sherry Gammon January 21, 2013 at 8:46 am #

Great post!

• Shelly Brown January 23, 2013 at 1:32 pm #

I always like hearing the POV of someone who comes from a different angle than I have heard before. Thanks for expressing your feelings here. It made me think. 🙂

• CameliaMironSkiba January 23, 2013 at 1:41 pm #

Hi Shelly,

And thank you for stopping by. As you said, it makes us think when we see it with different eyes or better said through someone else’s eyes. We are quick to react and point the finger, but where we point at it’s not always the problem. It’s not the gun/weapon that kills but the criminal.

9. Shelly Brown January 23, 2013 at 1:33 pm #

Oops, I replied to Sherry’s post. Sorry about that!