Surprise marriage proposal at Home Depot

13 Sep

I stumbled upon this cute video today and I have to admit it brought tears to my eyes. For a long time I’ve been… judgmental toward gay/lesbian people not because I’m a religious person (I’m not) but because I believe in what happens-in-the-bedroom-stays there. I’m a very private person when it comes to relationships and old fashioned. What can I say? I’m not perfect.

Today I have to admit I learned a great lesson, thanks to this wonderful gay couple. And I think I owe them and their community a great deal of apologies for not accepting them for who they are: people who are entitled to find love and be loved. People who go to Home Depot to buy lumber. People who dance. People who sing along. People who surround themselves with friends and family and count on their support and love. People who go down on one knee to propose. You know, people like us.

I’ll probably remember this day for a long time. It’s the day I opened my eyes to see the world more colorful, more loving and above everything–more tolerant.

7 Responses to “Surprise marriage proposal at Home Depot”

1. Erika September 13, 2013 at 3:28 pm #

Oh wow, so sweet! Brought me to tears too! Love how it looks like his parents joined in there. love it! Thanks!

• CameliaMironSkiba September 13, 2013 at 3:32 pm #

Erika, according to whoever put together this video it was family and friends. It looks like grandparents came as well, which shows that family should stick together and love one another unconditionally. I think anytime I’ll go back to being judgmental (old habit a lot of us suffer from) I’ll watch this video again. It’s screaming “be tolerant!”

2. Tina B September 13, 2013 at 3:48 pm #

I loved that video! It was so cute! 😃
    I am happy to hear that it opened your eyes. In my opinion, everyone deserves to be loved! 😉

• CameliaMironSkiba September 13, 2013 at 3:59 pm #

Totally! Regardless of color, gender, religion LOVE is for everyone!!!

3. L.I. Adams - Author September 13, 2013 at 4:29 pm #

Thank you for sharing your new views. Love is love and should have no boundaries on who is the object of that love.

4. alexkellyoc September 14, 2013 at 10:16 am #

Reblogged this on alexkellyoc and commented:
    I literally spent 30 minutes watching the video over and over again. I am happy for these 2 and I wish them well and happiness. may they grow old together! 🙂

5. Cindy C Bennett September 14, 2013 at 11:48 pm #