The Unheard Voice

11 Dec

I rarely watch the news. Tragic events outnumber by far the good ones, and the last think I need before bedtime is letting the tube depress me.

Once in a while I’m stuck somewhere where the TV is on and the news roll in, as it happened last night. And of course the case they presented was a heartbreaking one. A fourteen yr. old girl was found in a dumpster. She left for school but never made it.

Rapped, beaten and strangled. Thrown in a dumpster by no one else other than her mother’s estranged boyfriend, who was caught and now charged with a laundry-long list of felonies.

As I listened to the case and looked disgusted at the rapist’s mug shot I got angry. Angry because a filth like him gets the chance to live while he took the life of an innocent soul. Angry that our system fails over and over and over again to protect the rights of the victims. Angry that this scumbag has been in jail for several other crimes he committed since 2000 and our system continued to release him, giving him a chance to better himself.

Listen up people: that is not happening. 99.99999999% of the individuals that commit crimes do NOT better themselves. They don’t become stellar individual of our society. They don’t take jobs like you and I and pay their taxes. They don’t live a normal life. They don’t change. Because crime is written in their DNA. You can’t change that as you can’t change the color of your eyes, hair or skin.

Once an individual commits a crime, he’ll never change. Never. Some of them start with less serious crimes, as did the rapist mentioned above. In 2000 he was convicted of burglary. A few years later of assault. He was released only to commit an aggravated assault. You see the pattern here? Start small and end up big. Which he did by killing a fourteen yr. old girl. A girl who I’m sure had plans for the future. A girl who had dreams to go to college, fall in love and have children of her own. A girl who had family and friends who loved her and waited for her to return home. A girl who barely knew what life meant. And thanks to a scumbag all her dreams, all her plans, all her life came to an abrupt halt, never to take another breath, never to be kissed, never to laugh, never to say another word.

But it’s us, the ones left behind that need to raise a voice. Need to stand up for every victim out there. Victims can’t speak for themselves. But we can and it’s our duty to do so.We need to do something to protect our children. Because if we don’t do it, no one else does it. One too many times we put faith in our justice system and criminals still roam the streets. They get second chances.

Claudia Ann Lucero didn’t have a second chance. The bastard who killed her doesn’t deserve one either.

24155033_BG2

11 Responses to “The Unheard Voice”

  1. L.I. Adams - Author December 11, 2013 at 11:05 am #

    Camie, I wholeheartedly agree with you. When the Justice system is as corrupt as the criminals then justice will be subverted. Parents are also to blame – some women feel they need a man in their lives so desperately that they stand by while their children are molested or otherwise harmed. I am wondering what this child’s mother saw in a man who had numerous assault arrests/convictions that would allow her to even think about bringing this monster into her life and the lives of her children.

    • CameliaMironSkiba December 11, 2013 at 11:38 am #

      Linda,

      OMG, you so nailed it. I’m glad I’m not the only one feeling this way. Too bad her mom let her down as well. Unfortunately she’ll have to live for the rest of her life with the guilt of bringing this monster into the lives of her family, endangering her daughter’s life. Nothing she does or feels now can bring her daughter back.

      • roseapetrini December 11, 2013 at 3:53 pm #

        Very well said Cami…it just breaks my heart

      • CameliaMironSkiba December 11, 2013 at 6:29 pm #

        Thank you, Rose. Sure does, doesn’t it? Hopefully the guy will never hurt another soul again.

  2. L.I. Adams - Author December 11, 2013 at 11:11 am #

    Camie, I agree with you but when the Justice System is as corrupt as the criminals then justice is subverted. I also feel the parents are to blame. Some women feel that need a man so badly in their lives that they don’t care who or what they bring into their homes. I don’t know how any woman could bring herself to date or be involved in any way with a man or other person who has numerous assault arrests/convictions, especially when she has children to protect and raise. I think the parent who engages in this type of behavior is as culpable as the thug when something happens to their young or other members of their family.

  3. carmens007 December 12, 2013 at 3:25 am #

    I completely agree with you Cami. Congratulations for bringing up this subject!
    Linda is right too.
    Not only the system is to be blamed but also the poor girl’s mother. Little by little I start to think that death sentence should be reintroduced in my country too.
    we live a time when wrongdoers have more rights than honest people. When justice is so corrupt that thugs and criminals boast about being friends with judges and lawyers and prosecutors.
    May Claudia’s soul rest in peace! And may justice be done so that Claudia could find that peace.

    • CameliaMironSkiba December 12, 2013 at 7:47 am #

      Carmen, thanks for voicing your opinion. If it’s one thing I remember mostly from when I lived in Romania was indeed the corruption and the horrible system we had in place. I don’t think here in the States corruption prevails but laws that have way too many loops and allow lawyers to manipulate them in order to have their clients found not guilty.
      As for Claudia’s mother all I can say is that I don’t wish being in her shoes…

  4. Cindy C Bennett December 12, 2013 at 4:02 am #

    My son worked at the State Penitentiary, and one of the things he was taught was the re-offend rate, meaning the percentage of criminals who will re-offend and end up back in prison. I don’t remember the exact numbers, but they were something like only a 15% re-offend rate among juvenile delinquents (which is heartening because there’s a good chance if caught early enough they CAN be rehabilitated). But among the adult population the re-offend rate is something like 85%!!! And for those whose crimes are sexual in nature the re-offend rate is 98-99%. And, as my son says, it would probably be 100% except that 1-2% of them are never caught again. It’s very sad, considering the statistics, that there isn’t a way to keep monsters like this from having the opportunity to have the freedom to commit another crime.

    • CameliaMironSkiba December 12, 2013 at 7:54 am #

      Cindy, the percentages you give us are scary. They come to confirm my theory that crime is part of those individuals’ DNA. I’m not a pacifist (as you already know) and I believe in old-school justice: tooth for tooth, life for life. As long as the verdicts remain mild there will be no change. Even if a criminal is sentence to death, 20 yr later he still awaits that sentence to be fulfilled while we all pay taxes so that he has 3 meals a day, current water, electricity, a bed and a roof over his head. How fair is that to the victims and their families?

  5. sherrygammon December 16, 2013 at 10:54 am #

    GREAT post, too bad the idiots who run the “system,” and know full well that is true, don’t have the backbone to stand up and make changes. Heaven forbid we punish a criminal…that we save for the victims!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: