Happy 21st birthday, Patty Cakes!

24 Jun

I don’t think I’ve ever been as excited about my own birthdays as I am about Patrick’s (or Patty Cakes as some of you know I call my son).

Today my beautiful son turns 21 and this birthday of his is no exception. I find myself overwhelmed by a mixture of emotions. In other words, I’m a mess. I remember my water breaking middle  of the night and being rushed to the hospital, so so anxious to finally meet him (actually her as the doctor told me throughout my entire pregnancy–that I’ll have a baby girl. Talk about shock and amazement at once seeing that was no baby girl, but a baby boy). For two days my baby had no name since we were prepared for a girl, but eventually we settled on Johann Patrick.

hospital1

And Patrick it was. Years passed by and Patrick grew up to be this incredible, smart, kind, loving, handsome, caring, generous, loyal, friendly, hard worker individual, but above all: my son. I don’t know if you can totally understand how proud I am about this kid; how amazed I am about what he had achieved so far, and how at peace I am knowing everything he’d done in his short life will take him to a bright future, of that I have no doubt.

95-1

I look at Patrick and wonder how did I get so lucky to be his mom? How did I get so lucky to see him draw his first breath, hear his first cry and word, see his first smile, first step, first day at school? How did I get so lucky to hold his hand, and feel his hugs–the kind of hugs that needed me to kneel so he can reach for me, then later leveled until they transformed in bear hugs and required me to stand on my toes and him to bow? How did I get so lucky to share his love, pains and dreams, his quests and goals?

I do not know the answer to any of these questions. But what I do know is that when I held him for the first time I promised him I’ll be there, loving and supporting him to the best of my abilities, that I would do everything in my power to raise him properly and offer him all I could. I hope I’ve kept my promise so far and will continue to for as long as I draw breath.

11-jonnybravo

Happy birthday, Patty Cakes! ❤

12 Responses to “Happy 21st birthday, Patty Cakes!”

1. Tina B June 24, 2015 at 5:30 am #

Happy Birthday to him!!!
    Our oldest turns 18 this year.

• Camelia Miron Skiba June 24, 2015 at 9:23 am #

Oh Tina, you’ll be there soon! From 18 to 21 it was all a blur for me. Freshman in college one day, junior the next one. Time is not on my side these days but I do try to savor every moment. Enjoy your time with yours 🙂

2. Samantha Wagner June 24, 2015 at 6:23 am #

Aww this is sweet! Happy Birthday Patrick!!

• Camelia Miron Skiba June 24, 2015 at 9:20 am #

Thanks much, Samantha! You’ll be in my shoes one day; prepare yourself for a flood of emotions 😉

3. Karen Elizabath Bainbridge June 24, 2015 at 7:46 am #

Wow a great life event for your son, Jonathan Patrick aka Patty Cakes is 21 today, Happy Birthday To you Patty Cakes and many more. Camelia they grow up so fast from a beautiful baby to a handsome young man, congratulations on raising him to this age the age of majority, my oldest grandson is about the same age.. a few months younger. 😀
    I hope that you have a few surprises for him today!

• Camelia Miron Skiba June 24, 2015 at 9:19 am #

Thanks so much, Karen! Beautiful words that made me smile 🙂 You’re right they grow up too fast! Trying to take it all in… and yes, I have a few surprises for him 😉

4. fayth97 June 25, 2015 at 9:47 am #

Congratulations to you, & “♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*•♪ღ♪•*
    ♪ღ♪░H░A░P░P░Y░ B░I░R░T░H░D░A░Y░░♪ღ♪
    *•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«”•♪ღ♪•* to Patrick aka Patty Cakes!!!

5. carmens007 June 29, 2015 at 4:30 am #

Happy Birthday to Patty,
    Happy Birthday to Patty,
    Happy Birthday dear Patty,
    Happy Birthday to you!
    And warm hugs to your beautiful mother!

6. Sherry June 29, 2015 at 7:05 am #