Happy Dog Day!

26 Aug

As a kid I feared dogs and loved cats. I lost count how many times I got in trouble (to be read: butt too tender to sit on) for hiding cats under my bed or feed them milk from my own bowl. Let’s not go there, but go back to dogs because as I grew older, dogs no longer scared me, and I totally swapped camps: dogs rock!

bella collage1

I know people love their pets and think of them as family members, so no one would think of me as crazy when I say Bella, my pooch is my daughter, right? She has two birthdays: one when her mommy gave birth  to her–April 22, and one when she became mine–August 8, and we’ve been together ever since, 14 years to be exact. A white fur ball with black button nose and coffee-bean eyes, a goofy personality and stubbornness galore, that’s my Bella, queen of the house, owner of the backyard and our hearts.

I have so many stories about her from the time she was a puppy chewing all shoes left unattended, to playing hide-and-seek, to learning tricks only if rewarded with popcorn, to falling in the pool, to hating being groomed, to eating dirt and the list can go on, but I will stop here. For a while I feared I won’t remember all the things she’d done, worried that once her time was up, time will dust her memories as it does will all our lives. Luckily I found a solution and added her to the “characters list” in my novel A World Apart; for as long as there will be books Bella will live on, not only touching my heart but that of anyone reading my book.

bella collage 2

I don’t think there is possible to love Bella more than I already do nor imagine a world without her, although I know her time with us will eventually come to an end. My biggest consolation is that I gave her a great life, took care of her, protected her, but above all: I loved her. Happy Dog Day, Bella!

bella4

6 Responses to “Happy Dog Day!”

1. Michelle Willms August 26, 2016 at 9:27 pm #

Thank you for sharing Bella with us. I love my four furbabies, too. I fear anything happening to them and also fear their time with me ending. I’m overprotective (as I am with my two-legged children) and love them fiercely. I’ve always had dogs in my life and I know I’d be less of a person if I’d not had the tender, unconditional love of dogs to teach me the art of giving.

• Camelia Miron Skiba August 29, 2016 at 10:02 am #

Michelle, you must be a very loving person. I bet your household is super busy with six babies! Do you need an IV with coffee to have the energy for everyone?

2. carmens007 August 29, 2016 at 3:10 am #

How cute she is! I love our pets, cats and a dog- Emma!
    Though sometimes they are a handful I can’t imagine our life without them! They replace the daughters and grandson who live in another town – Bucharest. And yes, the moment our pets go to the stars, it’s a difficult one. Trust me!
    Enjoy your time together!

• Camelia Miron Skiba August 29, 2016 at 9:40 am #

Thanks, Carmen. Yes she’s adorable. They sure are great companions when family members live so far apart. I tried to convince my parents to get a pet after I left but they didn’t want to commit. How does Emma get along with the cats?

• carmens007 August 29, 2016 at 10:41 am #

The same as with people, she gets along well with 4 of them but is at constant war with 1. She is a friendly, spoiled dog. Bigger than Bella. We saved her from the street where boys were beating her with stones!

• Camelia Miron Skiba August 30, 2016 at 10:35 am #

Oh, Carmen, it breaks my heart to know kids were doing this to her. Poor Emma! At least now she has a home and family… SO generous of you to adopt her! ❤