Rude people and why I don’t do concerts

5 Nov

It’s rare I go to concerts lately, in part because of how expensive tickets are, in part because I can only take so much rudeness (and stupidity) in one place at the same time. Let me explain:

Beginning of October I went to a Cyndi Lauper concert here in Phoenix. She’s one of my favorite singers and her songs timeless. Along with two friends we purchased our tickets six months in advanced and, every time we met, we inevitably talked about the upcoming concert and about the fact that “Girls Just Want to Have Fun.”

Little that we knew, our expectations were far from truth thanks to selfish and rude people. As soon as Cyndi Lauper walked out on the stage, the entire room stood to applaud and cheer, and of course we did the same. Eventually Cyndi alternated her songs with fun stories, and most people sat back down. Most. About three rows in front of us a couple stood and no matter how many times we all in the back asked them to sit down, our requests were ignored by the woman especially; while her husband (or friend) chose to sit now and then, she did not sit for one bit.

img_5881

I really tried hard not to let them take away from my experience but the more time passed and the more they refused to sit, the more annoyed I turned. How selfish one can be to ignore everyone around them and not care? And that was not all. Halfway through the concert when I resigned myself to seeing Cyndi sing only when she moved from one side of the stage to the other but never in the middle, the guy in front of me yelled “Sit the f*** down!” To which the woman turned and flipped us off with both hands.

Unfortunately that was not the end of rudeness; during one of the breaks from singing Cyndi used to tell us a story, a guy yelled, “Shut the f*** up, Cyndi and sing!” Loud and clear for everyone to hear it. Not even fifteen minutes later, someone else, this time a woman used similar words to everyone else’s dismay. I’m assuming Cyndi Lauper is used to that kind of behavior because she was very gracious about it, but for me it was shocking. Are we that entitled and self-centered that we can’t think of anyone other than ourselves? Is it too much to ask to conduct ourselves in public in a respectful and kind way?

And then, there was the drinking, so much so that some stumbled out of the room at the end of the concert. Don’t get me wrong, a glass of alcohol now and then, either at home or with friends, I totally agree with it. But at a concert you don’t come to get wasted only to turn around and jump behind the wheel, putting not only your own life at risk but that of others, innocent people. If drinking is what you want to do, by all means please do us all a favor and stay at home, watch TV and drink until your brain swims in alcohol. You can stand up the entire time and sing as loud as you want, do whatever you want (including flipping off whoever you want until your fingers numb in pain) and without affecting others. No one will miss you. I know I won’t.

images

8 Responses to “Rude people and why I don’t do concerts”

1. davisbk121 November 5, 2016 at 8:58 pm #

This happen to me too. My husband nicely asked this young couple to sit down, and they were so rude, that he almost got into a fist fight. They stood the entire concert after that just to make us mad. What jerks some people are!

• Camelia Miron Skiba November 6, 2016 at 11:27 am #

I actually feel sorry for such people, you know? That’s quite a combo being a jerk AND selfish. Can you imagine waking up in that skin every day? LOL

2. Tina B November 6, 2016 at 6:51 am #

Wow! I’m sorry that you and your friends couldn’t enjoy the concert because of that. I highly dislike rude people as well and tend to not be very nice when I encounter them. As far as drinking, I agree. If you get so drunk that you can barely walk, there’s a good chance that you won’t remember the concert.
    I hope that if you go to another one at some point, you have better luck. 🙂

• Camelia Miron Skiba November 6, 2016 at 11:29 am #

Thanks, Tina. I doubt it’ll be any time soon that I’ll go. I mean with the money spent on a ticket I can buy several concerts on DVD and enjoy them from the comfort of my own home, right?

3. kattzzzfl November 6, 2016 at 10:07 am #

Wow, I have not been to a concert in years, mostly because I can not stand crowds, but to go to one when we are all grown adults and no longer teens and act like that is beyond me!

• Camelia Miron Skiba November 6, 2016 at 11:33 am #

Katt, you’re right, adults that behave like teens are worse. At least teens have an excuse for rumbustious behavior; adults don’t. Save your money for better things than concerts 😉

4. Tammy Hughes November 7, 2016 at 10:49 am #

Nicely worded. I feel the same way. I love music and loved going to concerts, but the expense is to much. If you do spend the money people like this ruin it. Why do they pay so much and then drink so much they don’t remember? Its not just concerts unfortunately, happens in the movie theaters, sport events etc….

• Camelia Miron Skiba December 4, 2016 at 11:08 am #

You’re so right, Tammy. I’m so glad we transformed our formal dinning room in a home theater and now I can enjoy concerts, games, movies without being annoyed by rude people. Sun and smiles sent your way!